Skip to main content

Can my ex husband stop paying child support before a judge orders it to be stopped?

Decatur, GA |

Our son is now 18 yrs. old not living with me because he is attending Youth Challenge Academy.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The answer is in your support papers. The papers may say support stops at 18. It may also say that it lasts page 18 during certain schooling. You left that detail out and it answers your question. So simply look at your papers. The answer will be there.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman


Small typo above: "page 18" should say "past 18."


It sounds like the answer to your question will be found in your divorce papers. Your first step be to review them and see what they say about your ex-husband's child support obligation. Generally, child support and so when the child reaches 18 or graduates from high school, but it can continue after age 18 of the child is enrolled in high school.

I recommend that you consult with an experienced family law attorney and have that attorney review your divorce papers for the answer to your question. If the divorce papers so provide, it is possible for child support to and on its own, without a judge issuing an order. However, that determination should only be made with legal counsel.

Nothing contained herein shall be considered or construed as creating an attorney client relationship between the party asking the question and the attorney. All legal problems are different. The answer given is only a general response based upon the facts provided and should not be considered specific advice for your case. Always contact a lawyer for advice about your particular circumstances and issues. For additional information, you may wish to view our firm website at Our firm can assist with custody, child support, divorce, contempt, separation, and other family law matters in Cobb, Fulton, Dekalb, Forsyth, Paulding, Douglas, Bartow, Cherokee, Gwinnett, and other counties in the Atlanta Metro area.