Skip to main content

Can my ex have his new wife serve me for child support?

Plattsburgh, NY |

Is this illegal because she'll have a vested interest in receiving the money?

+ Read More

Filed under: Child support
Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Provided the person who serves you is not a Petitioner or Respondent in the action and they are 18, then you may be properly served. Also, there is a requirement that the service must take place generally 8 days before the hearing.
Best Regards,

Morghan Leia Richardson, Esq.

Richardson Legal PLLC

31-08 Broadway, Suite 204

Astoria, New York 11106

Tel: 212-537-6744

Fax: 212-574-3337


No. Anyone over the age of 18 and not a party to the action can serve you.


Anyone over the age of 18 and NOT a party to the action may serve papers.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.


Yes, she can be the one to serve you, since she is not a party to the proceedings.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer