Skip to main content

Can my ex have his girlfriend stay the night while my children are visiting him for the summer in the state of Washington?

Chesapeake, VA |

my children are visiting there father for the month of August (ages 2 and 5) in Washington state. He just informed me that he is having his girlfriend that he had an emotional affair with while we were still married and the reason we are now divorced is going to be flying in from Florida (which is where she now resides), to meet the children. She will be staying with them in the same house, but he has said they will have separate rooms. Is this allowed? Can I request that she not stay with them b/c I don't feel it is in the best interest of the children being this is their 1st visit back to WA since the divorce and they haven't seen their father since February.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The answer depends on whether there are any orders here in Virginia for custody and visitation. You can try to take him to court to stop this, but unless it hurts the children and they have separate rooms, you will have a hard time convincing a judge to order that no one of the opposite sex be allowed to stay in the house while they are there.

Consult a local family law attorney before taking any action.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer