Skip to main content

Can my ex get any rights to my baby when it is born?

Saint Paul, MN |

Ok so I am 18 weeks pregnant now, my ex has a drinkink problem that is why I broke up with him. Told me not tobromg him to court for child support.He would always threaten to tell his family I miscarried the baby, he would claim he is not the dad, he has threaten to have women jump me to miscarry the baby ( I don't have proof of him saying it). I had to change my number cause his mom would not quit harrassing me. He also has domestic assualts, on his records. He is mentally unstable. His mom is going to push him to take me to court so he could try to get rights. I am truly scared for my childs life if he does get any rights. He has temper problems, I am concerned that he might get physical with the baby if he can't stop getting it to cry. I really don't know what to do after my baby born

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I'm sorry for your situation. You are really talking about 2 separate issues. Whether the father has any "rights" and whether he has any parenting time with the child. Here's the situation - not being married means that, at birth, you have sole legal and physical custody. He has no rights whatsoever, so you don't have to even speak with him. BUT, he can go to court to establish paternity, and he can ask for parenting time. Unless he can prove you're an unfit parent, he's not going to get custody. But, he could get parenting time, so you'll have to fight him on that. You'll also have to ask for child support (which will also happen automatically if you're receiving any benefits from the government). I'd suggest you immediately speak with a family attorney.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.



Thank you for the advice it has definately helped clear things up for me and help me gain some insight to what I may be faceing if he decides to go after me for parenting time, I know jis mom is pushing him to go after me once my baby is born.


Hello. Being pregnant and expecting a baby is supposed to be a happy time for you. I urge you to seek private attorney help right away. The immediate concern is to create a sense of personal safety for you, to reduce your personal stress. Additional resources include Crisis Connection which is a 24 hour local phone line staffed at all times with trained counselors. You may also contact domestic abuse organizations, of which there are many. 211 is the phone no. for United Way, too. Likely, you should seek an immediate protective order from the Court. A private attorney will also direct you as to many other possible paths of action for you. Sometimes people need to go into hiding in order to become safe from harm. Please get help immediately. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

St. Cloud/Twin Cites. Call 612-296-9666 for a consultation: CRIMINAL Law, DOMESTIC ABUSE & VIOLENCE Law, FAMILY Law, CHILD CUSTODY & PARENTING TIME Law, PARENTING TIME EXPEDITOR, CHILD SUPPORT Law, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Assoc. PLLC

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer