Skip to main content

Can my ex (never married) use my journal as evidence in our custody case?

Cleveland, OH |

When I movhed out he kept one of my journals. I asked him about thart and a few other items but he told me he threw everything away. In an email he brags about giving my purses away which were among the items he said he tossed. At mediation he pulled my journal out. I asked for it back he said no. It is a few years old and used in a not so proud time in my life. I made a statement of being an alcoholic and drug addict. im not either but at the time I felt out of control but never needed therapy or anything else. After mediation I filed a police report that it was stolen and in his possession. Can he still use it?

He failed a hair folicle test and had supervised visits. the judge ordered a urine test in 24 hrs he passed that. so he now gets 4 hrs every sunday. His lawyer wants me and my husband to take one as well. We dont use drugs so we both will pass no problem.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


So you going to court, and his lawyer asks if you are a drug addict. Or if you are an alcoholic. And you answer, No. He can then introduce the journals to impeach your testimony-- in other words, using them as a statement against interest to challenge the credibility of your statement.

How effective it is depends on the other strains of his case. The fact that he stole the journals is not entirely relevant in this circumstance... The fact that you wrote them is.

Better make sure you have a good custody lawyer on this case. You need to defuse this little bomb quickly, before his case takes that explosion and uses it to put wind in his sails. Good luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer