Skip to main content

Can my employer change my schedule or reduce me hours?

Miami, FL |

HI, because of not putting a suitable person, and try to do it themselves, changed fuse electricity, which subsequently caused a fire which was put at risk my life.I work 8-5pm, now they want to i work from 3- 11pm, otherwise I would reduce the hours. Is this legal? What I can do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Well if you believe and have evidence to show that they are reducing your hours because you reported their illegal conduct with the fuses, you may have a claim for retaliation. If your hours are being reduced because there was a fire and the facility isn't open as long then no, you have no claim. Normally an employer can adjust the hours and schedules of all their employees, unless there is a written contract or a collective bargaining agreement that limits the employer's options. You should talk to an employment lawyer and provide them with the details. You can find one here on AVvo or by calling the local bar.
Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.


Be aware that there are very, very short and very strict statutes of limitations (rules that prevent you from bringing a claim) if your employer takes action against you because of whistle blower activity related to unsafe workplace behavior (reporting an OSHA violation or participating in an OSHA investigation). That period can be as short as 30 days to take action. If you are in doubt about your rights, see an attorney as soon as possible, or you may lose your ability to protect your rights entirely.

Any responses are based on the questioner's recitation of the facts solely. To the extent the facts differ from those as recited by the questioner, the proper response can vary greatly. Providing a response to a forum or message board question does not establish an attorney-client relationship and responses are provided for information purposes and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of an attorney that has been provided full facts and information regarding the request.


Let me start by saying that the other two lawyers probably did a better job translating what you intended to say than I would have done. I am really not sure, even after reading this more than once.

With that said, I am not sure that I agree with the others that you have a possible whistleblower claim (assuming I understand more or less what you are saying). You have to be complaining about a policy of the employer that violates a law, rule, or regulation in order to possibly implicate such law. I am not sure I see anything of the sort occurring here, but I honestly am not sure what exactly you are trying to convey.

Make an appointment to see a qualified employment lawyer in your area in person to discuss this in more detail. I am going to go out on a limb here, but I am fairly certain this story would make a lot more sense in person that it does on this online forum. Good luck.