Skip to main content

Can my dad get citizenship through his dual citizen grandfather born in Canada?

Boston, MA |

His grandfather was born to a US citizen mother in Canada (she was born and raised in USA). Can he get citizenship though his grandfather? If my dad gets citizenship, can I get it through him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Determining whether someone is a U.S. citizen at birth is very fact-specific. This is especially true given there have been sevetal changes to the law. There is much more information needed. You would be best advised to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the matter further.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


Possible, but needs a thorough examination of the facts and building of the case, if an"case" there is by an experienced immigration lawyer.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.