Can my coworker record conversations at work without anybody's consent

Arvada, CO |

I discovered my coworker has been secretly recording the conversations of everybody around her without our consent. is this legal in Colorado

Generally, yes. For phone conversations, Colorado permits recording as long as one person consents. (usually the consent is given by the person doing the recording). There are some exceptions here, even for phone calls. As for just walking around recording, again the answer is generally yes. The coworker cannot record private conversations which do not involve her. For example, she could not record a conversation between you and your spouse. There are other exceptions as well. But this is occurring at your employment where your coworkers are governed by employment policies. Of Course your employer can ask her stop and can take action if she fails to do so. You should complain to your employer. As an employer, I wouldn't permit this for two seconds.

Answering this quetion does not establish an attorney client relation. The answer is for educational purposes only. You should consult an attorney for your circumstances.

I agree, this is something for you and your coworkers to take to the owner or manager. Why is she recording conversations? Is she being mistreated? Discriminated against? Or is she just a little off? When you complain, do so in terms the employer will care about. Do not be emotional. The employer cares about the work being done. If the problem is that the recording is making everyone so uncomfortable or nervous that they cannot concentrate on their work, the employer will care about that.

Like many attorneys we will sit down and review your situation with you without charge.

Your best bet is to find a good lawyer who provides advice on this kind of issue on a regular basis and review your specific facts; the lawyer will be able to give you an analysis of the law and your options.

By the way, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will prepare letters for you to sign, legal documents, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee even if they are not handling the whole case. Neighborhood Law Office is such a firm.

At Neighborhood Law Office we never charge for an initial consultation, and at that meeting we can go through your specific facts and give you options. Please call us anytime for an appointment.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Underhill
Neighborhood Law Office
7225 E. Hampden Ave.
Denver, CO 80224
303-302-1000
303-302-1001 fax
jim@NeighborhoodLawOffice.com
www.NeighborhoodLawOffice.com

NOTICE— This answer is based upon a partial understanding of the facts and may not be relied upon as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship between the writer and the attorney. It is provided for general information. You should always consult an attorney about your important legal rights.

I have a situation where my direct supervisor is lying about things I have done and claiming I don't let her know what work Im doing as well as she bad mouths other employees in the agency. I felt I needed to record her conversation that she would have with anyone one of the three of us, as she would sit down and start talking away, loudly, that anyone in our 1 room area can hear. I feel I have to do this to protect myself and to show she is creating a hostile environment as well as being discriminatory. What Colorado Law protects me and the recording since I am aware I am doing it (me bring the one party)