Can my boyfriend claim myself and my 3 children and also get the Earned income tax credit for my children?

Granite City, IL |

My children and I have lived with my boyfriend for almost 7 years. Usually I claim 2 children, and he claims 1 but with me only having 3300. and going to school full-time student last year. I think it would be better for him to claim us all. But my question is I know he can claim all of us but would we get the Earned income tax credit?

Earned income credit has many qualifications. You haven't provided enough information to discuss the quaifications for most of them. For example he might make to much money. The children may not pass the relationship test. To be his qualifying child, a child must be his: Son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild), or Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your niece or nephew). You should review IRS Publication 596 (2012), Earned Income Credit (EIC).

You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that a tenant may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need to allow us to perform the full opportunity to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the style of communication and type of analysis applied to factual statements.

You are not married so it is unlikely your boyfriend cannot claim you as a dependent. If the children are not his, they are also not his dependents. As for earned income credit, you need to discuss this with a tax attorney or accountant. You have not furnished enough information.

Go to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/EITC,-Earned-Income-Tax-Credit,-Questions-and-Answers to learn the rules about the Earned Income Tax Credit. To claim the EITC on your tax return, you must meet all of the following rules; (i) you, your spouse (if you file a joint return), and all others listed on Schedule EIC, must have a Social Security number that is valid for employment; (ii) you must have earned income from working for someone else or runnign or operating a farm or business; (iii) your filing status cannot be married filing separately; (iv) you must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year, or a NRA married to a U.S. citizen or resident alient and filing a joint return; (v) you cannot be a qualifying child of another person; (vi) you cannot file Form 2555 or Form 2555 ES (related to foreign earned income); (vi) you must meet the earned income, AGI and investment income limits (income limits change each year), see EITC Income limits for the tax year amounts; (viii) you must meet one of the following (a) have a qualifying child; (b) if you do not have a qualifying child, you must (1) be age 25, but under 65 at the end of the year (2) live in the US for more than half the year; and (3) not qualify as a dependent of another person.