Can my boss force me to take another position in a separate department?

Kennesaw, GA |

No, your boss can't FORCE you to change positions or duties. However, absent unusual circumstances, such as a contract, your boss can terminate your employment. The employer typically dictates work duties, not the employee.

So if my position is not being taking away, he can't force me to go to another department? He told me that if I do not go then HR will see it as me resigning? That's not fair.

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Scott Benjamin Riddle

No, I mean he cannot "force" you to take any job, just as you cannot "force" him to retain you as an employee. Again, the employer makes the decisions, not the employee, even if the employee does not believe it is fair. It appears you have a choice of following your employer's direction or facing termination.

Your boss can't force you to take the different job, but has the right to lay you off if you don't decide to take the other job unless you have a contract with the employer in which the employer waives rights to Georgia 'At Will' Laws. If you don't have such a contract, your options are to quit, hold out and be laid off or hope that you don't get laid off, or take the other job. If you take the other job, it is the same as being laid off and the taking a new job and starting from day 1, unless there is a contract to the contrary.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: www.atl-law.com Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

No but they terminate you as an "at will" employ.