Skip to main content

Can my 19 year old boyfriend get in trouble if we had sex when i was almost 16 and got me pregnant?

Saint Paul, MN |

Im 15 turning 16 in September. and my boyfriend is 19. we wanna be together and move in together and have our baby. but will he get in trouble.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are several statutes relating to Criminal Sexual Conduct in Minnesota. It would be possible for your boyfriend to be charged under one of these statutes. These statutes are very specific as to age (in terms of months). The statute that he might be charged under, and his possible defenses, will be determined by the number of months that you are separated in age.

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. The Law Offices of Sara M. G. Rojas offers free consultations by phone or in person. To schedule one today call 612-206-3722 or email me at Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.


It is very possible that if the situation was reported that he could be charged. However, he does have some options. He really needs to speak to an attorney about the situation.


The statutes provide that if you are under 16, and he is over 16, and he is more than 24 months older, it is felony criminal sexual conduct. It is indeed a serious charge that can involve possible prison time, and lenthgy probation, and predatory offender registration. If there has not been a lot of attention attracted to the situation, it is best to keep it that way. You should consult with an attorney in person and have that attorney on standby if charges are brought. I will say that there is often a lot of room for negotiated plea agreements that avoid conviction and registration in these types of situations, but much of that depends on the prosecutor and how well your attorney negotiates with them. DO NOT under any circumstances talk about this with anyone except a defense attorney, who has an obligation of confidentiality to you. Nobody else does, and any one of them could be close to law enforcement, or mandatory reporters like social workers, teachers, etc.

Alex De Marco

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer