Skip to main content

Can marriage get me citizenship in NV?

Las Vegas, NV |

I'm 40 and entered USA legally 8 years ago but permit is expired, Visa is current. I have worked under another name and fake SS, paid taxes. If I marry a USA citizen, can I legalize my status and do I have to leave the country?
If so, how long would it take to get my SS and work permit papers?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yes you can get permanent residency if you marry a US citizen. You will not have to leave the country to get your green card. There are a number of steps involved so you should consult with an immigration attorney. During the process you will be able to apply for work authorization. It should take about three months. After you receive your work authorization you will be able to apply for a social security card.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


More details are needed about your situation but you should be able to adjust to permanent resident or green card status.

However you should consult an immigration attorney who can review all your facts and advise you accordingly.

Please consult an immigration attorney before you marry.

Gary Goodin,
Goodin Law P.A.
3440 E Russell Rd. Suite 226
Las Vegas, NV 89130
Tel: 702-423-2721

Gary D. Goodin (702) 423-2721,, Goodin Law P.A. 3440 E Russell Road, Suite 226 Las Vegas Nevada 89120 . Note: Gary D. Goodin is an attorney licensed in the Florida and is authorized to practice US immigration law nationwide. The above answer is for general informational use only. You should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.


Bonafide marriage? probably yes without leaving the country. It is taking around 3-4 months to get your green card. You may get a work permit before that. Talk to a good immigration lawyer for details.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer