Skip to main content

Can long-time resident alien students apply independently for permanent residency on the merit of time spent living in the U.S.?

New York, NY |

I have lived and studied in the U.S. for over 17 years. I attended elementary and middle school as a G-visa dependent and graduated from both high school and university as an F-1 student. I have heard permanent residency applications are considered for students who have maintained status for several years (6-10?), but cannot find any official information. Are there any pathways to permanent residency for long-time resident aliens that have lived (and studied and worked) in the U.S. such as I? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

The years spent in the US in student status will not win you any type of "credit" towards attaining permanent residency. The only avenues to gain a green care are
1. Through marriage to a USC
2. Employment petition for GC by employer
3. Political Asylum
4. Winning Diversity (GC) lottery
6. EB-5 investor status (at least half a million $s.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You would need to file an employment based visa and then have the employer file for your green card.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.


Living for a long time in the US by itself does not give you any privileges. You need to look into ways of staying in the US permanently.... Consult with an attorney.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


My colleagues are correct ... there is no path to a greencard merely because you were a student for 6-10 years.

You need an employer to offer you a job and then their immigration lawyer needs to file sponsorship papers.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


The reason you can't find any information on the program you seek is because it doesn't exist. As my colleagues haver recommended, consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine the options available to you and how best to proceed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


You get no credit. You need to find another way to get legal staus as either an immigrant or nonimmigrant. If you can be sponsored by an employer or family member, that would be the way to go. Consult eith an attorney who cam review your history, help you figure out what might be out there to help you.

FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION AVAILABLE. Phone (646) 663-5902. Offices in Queens and Manhattan. Website located at Our responses on this site do not create an attorney-client relationship. Our responses on this website are for educational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Immigration and nationality law is a complex area of law which requires careful review of a person's particular circumstances. Do not rely on any answers provided on this site to make a decision on your case. For proper legal advice, you may contact us for a free initial consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer