Skip to main content

Can legal custody be granted from adoptive parents back to the birthmother if both parties are in agreement?

Minneapolis, MN |

Our child's birthmother voluntarily placed him for adoption with us as a newborn. She has maintained close contact with us all of his life, and he loves spending time with her. We believe he would be better suited with her and her husband. They were unable to have children, and he would get lots of one-on-one attention, which he needs with his ADHD+learning disability. We have other children and he acts out with us to gain attention. We have to think of what is not only in the best interest for him, but also our other children. His birthmother also has the emotional connection with him that we have been trying to replicate for 8 years with no success. We don't want him to grow up hating that he was with us when he could have been with her. She is married and has a stable home.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to be advised by a licensed MN family lawyer. You aren't giving enough information to answer the question. You need to act quickly because there may be limitations on the amount of time you have to enforce your rights.

Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers. Do NOT include any direct solicitations or contact information. The comments of the attorney are an opinion. You may not rely on this opinion, and if you do so you are at your own risk. Another attorney may disagree with this opinion. You must retain and consult with a licensed attorney so that you have a right to rely on the advice he or she gives you.


You should get the assistance of an attorney. There are many details that would need to be addressed. If either the birth mother or her husband have a criminal record, that could be a complicating factor that would need to be addressed with the court. But, as a general matter, yes, this could be accomplished. You should schedule a free consultation with an attorney.

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. You can contact The Law Offices of Sara M.G. Rojas, PLLC or find out more information about us and the services we offer . Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. You should never post identifying information about you legal situation online. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.


The short answer is "maybe." Like the others have said, it is possible, but there are factors and circumstances that could work to either complicate the process or thwart it all together. Most attorneys offer a free, no obligation consultation. You should contact an attorney in your local area and discuss this matter with them.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer