Skip to main content

Can landlord start to rent his single family house without informing previous agent?

Palm Coast, FL |

I own a single family house. I had couple tenants for a year and half. An agent found the tenants, collected rent, took care of everything and sent me checks (rent, minus expenses, minus agent's fee). Now house is not occupied. No tenants. I did not ask agent to look for tenants. Can I find tenants, collect rent without using the agent?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You would have to look at any written listing agreement or management agreement you may have with the agent.


Did you enter into a contract with the agent? Is there a length of time you are to use them for?

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


I agree with my colleague. Absent an agency agreement, the agent has no claim for any monies. I'm not sure how you ended up with the agent in the first place. Did you sign anything? If so, what?

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer