Skip to main content

Can landlord give a 3 day notice after accepting partial rent?

Lawndale, CA |

My lease expired May 2012; the building was sold to new owners in Novmeber 2011. They have not renewed lease, or monthly agreement. The have not given written notices or changes about anything. My late fee used to be $25 if not paid by the 5th of every month. They have verbally changed it to $50 as of the 5th. Also, I have had economic hardship and have been paying bi-weekly on my pay dates for four months. Today, I was advised via email that the policy is to collect rent on the first, and not to accept partil payments. That is not mentioned in my previous lease. Can they legally change the fees without giving notice? And I have never been provided any new procedures from the previous ownership, where they did accpet rent beyond the 5th. Can I just move without giving notice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


All the written portions of our expires lease is binding on new owner except the term is month to month. Any changes must be by written notice. If they don't accept no weekly payment don't spent the mid month payment and make one payment.

And yes you can move out you are there month to month. you should give a 30 day notice to eliminate LL deducting from your security deposit the less than 30 day notice days which they will do.

If you give proper 30 days notice then you don't have to worry about that. Best of luck.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.


I agree with Pardis

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer