Skip to main content

Can international students in paralegal major work in a law firm?

Selden, NY |

I am studying in American community college in paralegal major , I am an international student and got offer from local law firm . Am I allowed to work there during first year of studies ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You need to talk with your college's DSO (Designated Service Officer). That is the person who issues your I-20 and helps you comply with SEVIS. You might be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if you are here on an F-1 visa.

Your college's DSO is who would be able to request the OPT/CPT permission for you and help you obtain it.

I am not your attorney. I am providing you an answer for general information purposes only. That information should be used as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for a consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issues. You should not rely on the information above as legal information. Finally, your question and its answers are not confidential and not subject to attorney-client privilege.


It depends on the type of visa you have. Most limit you to working on campus.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.


Depends on the visa you have and whether you can get a different visa. Need more details...

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through


Concur with Mr Gairson. Provided that you are studying with an F1 visa, you can apply for OPT. Your sponsoring academic institution can instruct you with the procedure to follow. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


It is tough working off-campus as an international student during your first year. If you are on an F-1 visa, then OPT requires one full year of study before you can apply for it. There may be a few other ways for you to do it (CPT or hardship-based work permit). If you are on a J-1 visa, it all depends on the program and whether it mandates employment in your area of studies. Your International Students Office will be most helpful in this regard.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer