Skip to main content

Can I write a formal letter to the embassy of the united states for being absent for one year?

Arcadia, CA |

While I am a green card holder.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Are you wishing to return to the United States? Do you want to abandon your starus? You need to discuss the matter in a consultation. There is a lot more information needed to address your question.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


Sure you can. You can write a formal letter for anything you would like.

This communication should not be construed to create an attorney client relationship. All information provided is for general informational purposes only. You should not rely on any general information provided to make important legal decisions affecting your life and you should instead consult with an attorney. During any private consultation, a competent attorney will review your particular situation, research the specific legal provisions that apply, and create an individualized case plan for you and your family.


Yes, but what would it say? And what would that accomplish? Why didn't you get a Re-Entry Permit?

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



As the resident is now out of the USA, and couldn't return in time due to health conditions. Can one file a re-entry permit while he/she is outside the us?


You have been outside the US for over one year? You plan on being absent? Regardless of your question, there are answers... however, you should at least consult with an attorney to go over the particular facts of your case and provide you legal advice you can rely on.


Please explain why you would want to write such a letter; for example, are you trying to preserve your green card status, or has it already been determined to have been abandoned?

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


Sure-why not?
I am sure it will be filed

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer