Skip to main content

Can I work with my old social security number?

Cincinnati, OH |

I got out of status but got my work permit recently through marriage. My question is can I work with my old social security number or do I need a new one? The company that's willing to employ me told me they need my social security number for background check.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


If your SS number is valid you can always use it.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You have your SS# for the rest of your life regardless of your status.


Yes. Your social security number remains the same throughout your life.

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.


Assuming that the original social security number was legally obtained, you will keep the same number for life.


If you have a valid SS number open in your name it is yours for your life


If you obtained your Social Security number by legal means, it is still valid. However, if it is stamped "not valid for employment" you will need to go to the Soc Sec Administration with your work permit. You will likely get the same number but without any restrictions.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.


Go to the SS office, inform them your about your old number, and show them your work permit. Then use what they give you (sometimes you get to keep your old NUMBER e.g. you got if when you were an F1 - but they update their systems).

JP Sarmiento
Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
(216) 573-3712

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer