Can I work with 2 employers on J1 visa?

New York, NY |

I am a researcher on a J1 visa for a given academic institute. I have applied for a grant with another academic institute and if I get the funding I will be able to work remotely with that institute. My question is this: How can I "work" both jobs without doing anything illegal? Can I ask my current employer to allow me to work extra hours with the other employer? Or is there a limit to maximum number of hours/week that a J1 visa holder is allowed to work? If this is possible what will my current employer need to do? Will I have to apply for another DS-2019?

No. You can only work for one employer.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I was told that you can have additional program sponsors (i.e. http://www.hooyou.com/j-1/j1_nse.html) . Please keep in mind that both employments will be related to my research field.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Please check the regulations.

I agree with my colleague.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

Gen, Thanks for the reply. If this 2-program sponsor doesn't work is there some other way? Like starting a company with a friend?

Gen Kimura

Gen Kimura

You need to change your status to H1B. Each institution needs to file a separate change of status/H1B petitions. You can have a multiple H1B statuses.

No

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.