Can I work offshore (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off) if I am on probation for a DWI in Houston, Tx.

Katy, TX |

I have a job offer to work offshore for a company (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off) and I was wondering if that is allowed. I have 15 months left on my probation from a 5 year sentence. Everything is caught up except my fees. I just got done serving 30 days "jail therapy" for my first violation (technical) in 3 1/2 years. What all should I know before I face my PO (which is actually in 2 days)?

One issue that may have bearing on this is how often you have to meet with your probation officer. Generally speaking, it is encouraged for those on probation to be employed. If you had an attorney on the DWI, it might be a good idea to call them, as they should be aware of the terms of your probation. However, it will probably just be easiest to talk to your probation officer - it doesn't sound as if the job will pose any serious problems as far as probation goes.

If you're only supposed to report once a month, you should be fine. It's important that you're letting your probation officer know what is going on.

Austin Probation Lawyer
512-495-1813
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

Most POs will work with you in a situation like this. They have incentive to keep you employed--so you can pay them! If your PO tells you that you can't take the job, I would have an attorney approach the judge about it. Judges are (usually) more level-headed than field officers.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

I dont know about level headed.... Mine just amended my terms stating that I cld not take prescribed medications for my back because my PO told her that she doesn't think I need them even though I have x-rays and MRIs stating that I have problematic issues and have been seeing one doctor for over 18 months.... Is that legal? Or can I get that reversed?

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

I actually see judges do that often. They simply don't want you on any narcotics at all. It is perfectly legal.

Yea, it is pretty bad that they go to this extent when i have never been in trouble for narcotics in the 20 years of my adulthood and even though this case has to do with alcohol, the courts do not care about my well being, just so they can make me suffer more. Niiiice....

Cynthia Russell Henley

Cynthia Russell Henley

That is because you are on a FELONY DWI probation meaning you have at least 2 priors, and your violation that got you 30 days was a violation - it could have resulted in the revocation of your probation. When you violate your probation in ANY manner, you are making a decision that you are willing to subject yourself to a prison term. All judges take felony DWI cases seriously as it affects the well-being of the publc. And, they seriously restrict the use of drugs such as you mention because of the great amount of abuse of them, and when someone is on felony DWI probation, it is an indicator of addiction / abuse issues.

I understand where you are coming from. Technically though, this is my first DWI. I had gotten a Intoxicated manslaughter 25 years ago, then picked up this DWI (which I wasnt over the limit. HPD didnt like seeing my IM and wouldnt let me take a breathalyzer when I asked for one and instead arrested me. I was pulled over for going 7 miles over the speed limit on i10, it was all on video) which I could have beaten, but because of the IM, and my wife being pregnant at the time, i didnt want to take any chances of something going wrong with a jury, so instead took 5 years probation (that re insured my thoughts of beating it, since the DA would not come off the 20 years they were offering me until the day I was walking in to pick my jury panel and then all of a sudden they let me walk out of there on probation). I understand "Everyone's Innocent", but in this case, it was just the usual Harris County DA doing what they do best... making money.

*sorry, 15 years ago, not 25