Skip to main content

Can I work after i file for bankruptcy?

Orlando, FL |

I am a physician and own my practice. I will be filing chapter 7 in a few weeks. Can I work part time for another physcian/group while I'm waiting for the process to go through? My lawyer says better not but how will I survive with 2 kids, no support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Its natural to seek second opinions, but if you have hired experienced counsel, you would be wise to heed his advice. No one on AVVO could possibly be in a better position to understand the facts surrounding your bankruptcy. Know that bankruptcy is as much strategy sometimes as law.

Its also perfectly reasonably for you to want to better understand the logic of the restrictions owing to the hardship they may cause. Bankruptcy is not an easy process to undergo, especially with a family and under the stress most endure. I recommend you visit with your attorney and put your mind at ease by asking him to further explain his reasoning. The means test and the qualifications for Chapter 7 as well as other more subjective evaluations the surround your lifestyle and behavior prior to filing are complex. Sometimes its hard to see in the fog which way to go, but then that's why ships have navigators. Doubtless yours has sailed these waters many times. The Chapter 7 process is relatively brief.

Best of Luck.

The posting attorney is admitted to the U.S. Tax Court and authorized to represent clients in all 50 states before the IRS. Outside of IRS matters, the posting attorney is licensed to practice law generally in the State of Texas and no other state. The information provided in this post is for general educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice by any party. No attorney-client relationship is formed with any party by the mere posting (or reading) of this information on the AVVO website. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency


The lawyer is concerned you will make too much income for the means test which means they would convert the 7 to a 13 and you would have to payoff your creditors. You may want to seek a second opinion on your bankruptcy case.

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship. Thank You


Ask your attorney. He will know better than we can from a single question in this forum. If you doubt his expertise seek another local attorney for a second opinion.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer