Can I use recording from my security cameras as evidence?

Brooklyn, NY |

Hello,
I live in a Co-op building. I had 2 web camera on my entrance door that watched a corridor and recorded any movement on a hard drive of my computer. I installed them because the Co-op could not provide Warranty of Habitability Law. The Co-op has removed one camera without a court. I filed lawsuit. Both the Judge and defendant's lawyer has not demanded the recording from the video cameras, They even did not ask about existence of video files. Can I use these recording as evidence?

Best Answer

Dear Brooklyn Coop Owner:

If you are the plaintiff, you are the initial party to present evidence. The evidence you desire the court consider is up to you. The other side has the right to object to your offer of evidence. The judge decides whether the offered evidence is admissible.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Both answered are the BEST. Peter Lomtevas has sent his answer a little bit later.

Sure you can. The opponent's lawyer is obligated to ask for witnesses and evidence you may have for trial. Once you are ready to enter these viseos into evidence, you must lay a foundation for their admissibility. The adversary will have a chance to object. The judge decides.

Both answered are the BEST. Steven Smollens has sent his answer a little bit earlier.

Yes. Be sure to bring a laptop computer so you can play it in case the court is not equipped.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.