Skip to main content

Can I use my previous Masters opt to extend my current 12 months opt?

Perrysburg, OH |

I did my Masters in Chemical engg in 2009 and never applied for opt, left to my home country. Then I came back on new F-1 visa for MBA in 2011. After my MBA, I only received 12 month opt ( because its not STEM) .
Now my question is, somehow, can I extend my opt using previous STEM masters degree? My current opt is expiring in September.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It does not work this way. Talk to the DSO for an explanation. You cannot recapture lost or not reclaimed OPT time.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | | | I can help you now.



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.