Skip to main content

Can I use my married name when applying for (DACA) Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals?

Los Angeles, CA |

I just recently got married and I'm applying for DACA but I haven't changed my name with the Mexican consulate, so all identification and paperwork that I'm sending as proof of residence show only my single name.
Will USCIS accept my application with my married name and copy of U.S. marriage certificate, or am I better off just applying with my single name and changing it in the future assuming I'm granted a work permit.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You may use your new name. Submit your marriage certificate so that you can immediately explain, without waiting for a request for evidence (RFE), why you are using a different name now.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:


You can use your new name and your filing will be accepted.


Yes, you can use your married name and make sure you enclose your marriage certificate.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer