Skip to main content

Can I un-press charges against my boyfriend for domestic violence? If so how ?

Pomona, CA |

My boyfriend got arrested couple days ago but I don't want him to do jail time all I want is for him to stay away from me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Absolutely. It works best to lawyer up because you have victim rights that will conflict with contempt of court charges. But an experienced attorney is likely to get you out of any penalty.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


The only way to accomplish you goal is to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you get out of your own way. Mr. Cernyar is very knowledgeable in these matters.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy


I totally agree with Mr. Cernyer, I have represented girlfriends who want to take back the accusations on many court appearances.

My offices does represent people from Avvo if they contact me but only in the Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside County in Southern California. The answers I give here are not meant to create an attorney client relationship. When accepting clients I conduct interviews face to face and they often take 30 minutes or more. I approach trials and issues from a legal and common sense approach, This is how the majority of judges I have appeared before in 40 years also make decisions. I do not intend by my advice to enter an attorney client relationship and in most cases advise to obtain legal representation. Sometimes if you can not afford it a consultation or limited scope representation is available. As an experienced attorney I can tell you, judges can be impatient, hate emotional arguments and over exagerations or lies. A brief outline of the problems and desired solutions is often best and I d0 limited scope representations advise clients on how to proceed at time of hearing or trial and my fees are considerably less when I do not appear in court as it takes much less of my time.


You didn't press charges - the DA did. You can't drop them - only the DA can.

But you do have rights not to testify under certain circumstances. You'll need your own attorney to enforce your rights though.

You can also apply for a domestic violence restraining order to keep him away from you.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.