Skip to main content

Can I type/help write a witness affidavit for immigration when my parents do not write in english well enough...I type faster

La Jolla, CA |

too, so they prefer that i write their side of the story while they had it notarised. Is this acceptable or not. It's for an immigration scam that they are adding their side as to how they witnessed it happening to me by my spouse, so I helped them type while we decided what needs to be written with my parents.

Also, if I want to mention that I helped them with typing, how can I word it to sound right and 'legal' and how to do that on that witness affidavit. Should I also claim that I helped them with their english or just typing. Thanks

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 5


Yes, you can.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Thanks! I was adding another question when you were typing. Would you mind looking at my question please. Thanks.


I sometimes put a sentence at the end of the affidavit:
"All the above statements were read back to me word for word in my native ____________ language. "
You don't need to say that you typed it. Most affidavits are typed.
If this is for your immigration case, are you receiving any legal help? If yes to the first and no to the second, you might consider at least getting a consulation in person or by phone to make sure you are doing the right things. Immigration law is rarely straightforward and reasonable. Good luck.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


I agree with my colleagues. I don't see any issue with you helping your parents out.


Please do. Help the parents. It is indeed a good deed and completely permissible as long as you explain to the verbatim what the affidavit says, in their native language.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Yes. You may assist your parents in the preparation of affidavits, declarations, and supporting documents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer