Can I travel with a foreign passport as a US citizen?

Yuma, AZ |

I have dual citizenship with Mexico and I've lost my US passport. I am traveling internationally in a few days and don't have the time to replace it. Will I be able to travel from the US using my Mexican passport? If I can at least leave on my Mexican passport, I will have the time to replace my US passport for when I return.

While a dual citizen can travel overseas with any passport he wishes, one should not pose as a foreign national when exiting (or entering) the US.

You can obtain a new US passport within 24 hours from the passport office.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

How are you planing on entering the US? On Mexican passpor?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

To leave and enter the US, you MUST use a US passport. What you use to leave and enter other countries is not governed by US law.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.