Skip to main content

Can I travel to Puerto Rico or the BAhamas with a work permit ?

New York, NY |

I just got the work permit with DACA. I was wondering if I am able to travel to Puerto Rico, Hawai or the Bahamas? Would there be a problem on the board of entry to the US when coming back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Puerto Rico and Hawaii are part of the U.S. However, the Bahamas is an independent country. You would need an advance parole in order to travel there.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


What you need is travel authorization. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
13295 Illinois st ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174


Don't push your luck too far.. Be grateful you just got DACA approved.

While you can travel to PR on your EAD, you cannot expect to be readmitted to the U.S. after having traveled to a foreign country or territory (Bahamas) without an advance parole document.

I would strongly recommend against applying for an advance parole document now.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Can't travel outside the us without advanced parole and expect to be allowed back. For advanced parole it is only for 1 of 3 reasons school, work, and humanitarian reasons. Basically need a solid reason in one of those categories.

Andres Mejer 9 Memorial Parkway, suite B Long branch, NJ 07740 220 Third Street Lakewood, NJ 08701 732-962-1805

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer