Skip to main content

Can I travel outside US after filing for US Citizenship?

Redwood City, CA |

I am a US permanent resident. I was invited to be a consultant as an architect in Hong Kong for two periods of 3 months and 4 months each. Say between them I will be in the States. Although the Owner of the Architectural firm is American it's based in HK.

My wife is an American Citizen and we both live together since 2004 ( I'm a LPR since June 2005).

Can this be a problem in order to get my Citizenship because it's considered an abandonment, or considered working in a foreign Country, even though, I am going to file taxes in US?

I would like your help on this.
Thank you.
Carlos Almeida

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It wouldn't be considered abandonment, but you have to maintain you US presence while your application for naturalization is pending. Residing outside of the US for more than 6 months in a one year time frame could be considered abandonment of you green card and residence. In order to avoid this, you should file an I-131 for a Re-entry Permit AND N-470 to preserve your residency for naturalization purposes. I would consult with an attorney to review the dates you'll be traveling and get advice particular to your situation.