Skip to main content

Can i travel if I am married but still under F-1 visa?

Hoboken, NJ |

I want to renew my visa. I got married a month ago but did not adjust my status. I want to keep my f-1 status for graduate school or renew my opt. ( I can't afford the AOS application yet). Also we want to build a solid application so we are taking our time. Can i still travel? I'm from Europe.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you married a US citizen, then no. The marriage makes you an intending immigrant and therefore ineligible to enter the US on an F-1 visa.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with Mr. Ferrari. It is not wise to delay the AOS application, and certainly not wise to travel until you are LPR.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


F visa is not dual intent, meaning your marriage to a us citizen, and the implied intent to remain permanently in the us, could prevent your reentry into the us if you leave. Consult with an immigration lawyer to discuss the risks, benefits and options. Many, such as me, will work with you in a payment plan for the adjustment process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer