Skip to main content

Can I travel abroad if I was convicted of a felony?

Los Angeles, CA |

i am a green card holder and was convicted of an felony due to domestic violence last year. I just got a job abroad that will last 3 months. I am concern that re-Entry to The US will not be allowed. Should I be concern? I have permission from criminal court judge and probation officer. Do I need one from ICE?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should be concerned

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Should you travel abroad, upon your return you will be found inadmissible and placed in removal proceedings..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


It depends on the criminal conviction. What does the statute say, what does your indictment say, what does your plea deal say.
You should hire a lawyer to do the analysis for you. It should not be too expensive, but it is critically important to determine if your conviction is either an aggravated felony or a "crime of violence" or otherwise makes you inadmissible. Every state's statutes read differently. HIRE A LAWYER, give him/her all your conviction records, and let him/her do the research.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


It is very likely that you are deportable and you would be placed in deportation proceedings if you fly back to the U.S. However, there are defenses available. You should get your criminal court records and discuss them with an immigration lawyer.