Can I Translate My Own Birth Certificate for Immigration Purposes?

Dayton, OH |

can I translate it from certified translator in my country or I have to go to the embassy ?

Best Answer

No, you can not even if your English is impeccable. You need to have certified translation.

can I translate it from certified office in my country or I have to go to the embassy ?

Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

No, you do not need to go to the Embassy. Ask someone to Certify the translation. Insert the language: " CERTIFICATION I hereby certify that foregoing is, to the best of knowledge and belief, a true and correct translation from the ________ language of a certified copy of the original document. I am competent to translate and the translation is accurate. " I always ask that such certification be notarized.

Would not be advisable, even if your English language skills are excellent, since you are an interested party.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

USCIS requires certified translations. So, no, you cannot translate your own documents.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

no need to go to the Embassy

Yes, my clients often do translate their own documents if they can certify that they are fluent in the language the document is written in and English. If your case is not suspected for some type of fraud for other reasons there will likely be no problem. If your case may get extra scrutiny you may ask someone who is not a part of the petition to make the certification of accuracy (you can still prepare the translation, your friend is merely certifying its accuracy).

There is no official certifying translation requirement. Therefore anyone who is fluent in the language of the document and English may certify a translation, even an interested party such as a petition or beneficiary. However it may be prudent to ask a someone with no stake in the outcome to establish objectivity.

Best regards,
Christopher

Representing clients throughout the US and around the world: www.PogueImmigrationLaw.com (513) 549-4420. We cannot provide legal advice or recommendations unless you retain our law firm to represent you. No attorney/client relationship will begin until you sign a representation agreement and make a retainer payment to open a case with us. Any information found here is general in nature and should not be relied upon in individual cases.

As you have an interest in the application, you should not act as your own interpreter.

216.861.4414
immigration@rbrownllc.com
www.brown-immigration.com

Robert Brown LLC
1476 W. 9th Street, Suite 800
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Well, you got a No, a Yes, a No, and two implied Yesses but not advisable.
I agree with the latter.
Technically, there is nothing that says you cannot translate your own so long as you include a certified translation, but, as my colleagues note, you are an interested party so USCIS may not accept it. You should get someone else to do it. You do not need to pay a lot of money. Anyone fluent in English and the original language can do the translatio and include a statement certifying that they are fluent in both languages and that they did the translation to the best of their ability. They should include their name and address.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

You can translate it only if you know both languages.
Lalita Haran
(317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Anyone can technically create a certified translation so long as they are truly fluent in both languages. However, a translation from you, or someone close to you, will not be regarded as being as reliable as that created by a neutral third party. This is why many attorneys recommend that people use companies to draft the translations. In order to save money, some clients opt to have an unrelated friend perform the translation, certifying that they are fluent and that it is true and accurate.

You can use your own translation, but I do not recommend it at all. You could invite extra scrutiny from USCIS.