Skip to main content

Can I transfer a title of a car after my husband passed away?

Albany, GA |

My husband died recently. The car I am driving was only in his name. When the loan is paid can I tranfer the title to my name without any problem.

+ Read More

Filed under: Wills Probate
Attorney answers 1


So sorry for your loss.

You will need to open a probate estate in the county in which your husband lived. Through the probate process, the administrator will receive authority to dispose of your husband's property pursuant to his will, or. If he had none, pursuant to the laws of Georgia. This will allow for the car to be retitled. The estate will also handle distribution of his other property. It would certainly be beneficial for you to consult with a probate attorney in your area for guidance.

This is for general informational purposes only, and it not intended to be legal advice for your specific situation. Should you desire legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer