Skip to main content

Can I terminate the right's of my child's father but still receive child support?

Fort Worth, TX |

I have been in an abusive relationship with my child's father and am currently pregnant with our second child. I finally left him and recently filed for child support. When he found out he said he was going to sign over his rights and move to another state. He says his children were a mistake and he doesn't want anything to do with them. That's fine with me because my son got hurt while in his care and had CPS called on him. He's also been arrested for felony domestic violence. Is in the process of being tried and possibly dropped to a misdemeanor though. Anyways I was wondering if I could still somehow receive child support because he was the primary income for our household? We planned it that way when we decided to have children together.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If allowed, once the father terminates his rights, child support is no longer required from the father. Typically, however, absent dire circumstances or an adoption, the courts will not terminate a parent's rights even if agreed, unless there is an adoption ready to take place. In the event he moves to another state, there are laws in place to establish child support payments when one parent is in a different state from the other. Consulting an attorney to view your options would likely be the best option. Many attorneys offer free consults.


If parental right are terminated, the obligation to pay support while be terminated as well. There are options to restrict the fathers access and still receive support. You need to consult with an attorney to discuss your options.

Disclaimer: Attorney Stevens can be contacted for a consultation at 888-908-6296 or The answer provided is for informational purposes only. It should not be relied upon as specific legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Information should not be acted upon without seeking professional legal counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer