Can I take possession of a vehicle if I have a mechanic's lien on it?

Tallahassee, FL |

I own an auto repair facility in Florida. I have been too nice, and allowed 2 customers to take their vehicles, with a balance owed. I have a properly executed repair order for each vehicle. If I put a mechanic's lien on the vehicle, do I have the right to take the vehicle from them and hold it for payment? (Yes, I have learned my lesson and will be strict about not allowing a vehicle to leave until paid in full in the future.)

A repair lien on a car is possession -based. Once the car leaves you have no lien. You can sue them in court (small claims) but you have no lien. The key is to not return the car unless paid.

This is not legal advice. Think of this as what you would recieve from a wise uncle. And remember, you have never believed everything your uncle told you either. With free advice you generally get what you pay for.