Skip to main content

Can I take out a loan on my 1/6 share of a piece of property, in Calif., without affecting other owners?

Corning, CA |

Property is owned equally by 6 siblings

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If a lender is willing to loan money to you, that is the lender's choice, provided you own the property outright. Unless you are taking very unfavorable terms, I cannot forsee a lender given you a loan secured by a 1/6 interest in real property.

If this is in a Probate, I really dont see it happening.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.


You can but it will be difficult to find a lender who will loan against the property. You might find a hard money lender but it will be expensive. Your better bet may be to move the administration and sale of the property along if you can. Or you can have one of the other beneficiaries buy your share out. You have options. Try to think your position through so that you don't regret it later.


If there is a Tenancy-In-Common agreement your rights to borrow against your interest might be restricted. If the property produces income, you will have a better chance of getting a loan, but it won't be a great loan. If the property does not produce income, you will have a tougher time getting a loan. If you want cash for your interest, I recommend you approach your other siblings and see if one or more of them will buy out your interest.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer