Skip to main content

Can I take a business to small claims in OR if they do business here and I only worked here but they have offices in WA?

Portland, OR |

My employer failed to pay my wages within the guidelines of Oregon Law. As a penalty I am now entitled to 8 hrs per day pay for every day it remains unpaid with a few limitations. Can I sue them for this balance in Oregon if they have a business registered here and I worked in Oregon, but the company is based in Washington and does most of its business there? Can I also seek those additional penalities as outlined in ORS 652.150 in small claims?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Consult with an attorney who practices employment law. If you were denied wages, you may be entitled to remedies above and beyond what you can get in small claims court.

If the work was done in Oregon, you should be able to sue in Oregon. But check with an attorney first, in private.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


Generally speaking, if you worked for a company in Oregon, and you were based in Oregon, then you can sue for any unpaid wages, and penalty wages. (that is what we call the 8 hours per day penalty). There may be other wage issues that you can sue for. In addition to the wages and penalties, you may be entitled to recover your attorney fees should you choose to retain one. Some firms offer a free consultation and take wage and hour claims on a contingency fee basis, essentially being paid by your employer to win your case.

Information is provided to assist the reader in forming questions and allow them to take full advantage of a consultation with the attorney of their choice. Schuck Law, LLC does not provide legal advice to individuals who have not signed a written fee agreement with the firm. The facts, which were not disclosed in the written question may change the advice, if any, that would be rendered by the attorneys at Schuck Law, LLC. For these and other reasons, Schuck Law, LLC is not responsible for any damages caused by the reader's use, mis-use, or interpretation of the information provided herein.


Try also contacting the local state labor board office. State's labor board are there to protect their state employees, regardless of where the employer is based.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. If you want that advice from us, contact us at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer