Skip to main content

Can i sue the school district for allowing my minor child to be interrogated by police without parental knowledge or consent?

Santa Clara, CA |

Two girls at my daughters school were constantly instigating arguments and running to school officials with false reports. The school filed harassment reports against my daughter leaving her unable to file against the instigators. The school threatened her with expulsion if she even looked at these girls wrong. The girls called the police claiming threats via Facebook. On 8/21/12 Santa Clara PD officers read her her miranda rights and denied/ refused to allow her to contact me even upon her asking for a parent she was 16. They claimed they would charge with more than intent to harm, that a parent wasn't needed she could use the phone at Juvenile Hall. The school claims my daughter invented the whole story. Nothing happens at that school without an Official knowing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Police do not need parental permission to interrogate a suspect for a crime. That said, you should hire an attorney to protect your daughter and evaluate your case. - This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.

Avvo child custody email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about child custody law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer