Skip to main content

Can I sue the school board of education, My child's school And a teacher for what happened?

Kansas City, KS |

my 6 year old son came out to my car. He told me his substitute teacher grabbed him on the arm and dropped him on the floor. My son landed on his right side. I pulled back his sleeve and he had a bruise where he was grabbed. I immediately went into the school to speak to the principal. But she was not there, the school social worker was in her place. I told her what happened .And so did my son she apologized for it, then she said we have to hear his side of the story. So we waited on him to come He came in and the social worker ask him what happened. He admitted in front of the social worker, my son , my other 2 kids, and my children's aunt that he did it. And that my son deserved it and that the whole class deserved it cause they wouldn't listen. . I NEED HELP

My son is scared to go to school now, but I know he has to go. Futhermore , I took my son to the emergency room and they acted like they didn't want to be bothered. I ask for them to call the cops and a nurse told me that they don't take pictures or get involved in these matters. I tried to file police report, but the school and school board are not cooperating. the school never called DCF OR CPS I had too. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS, AS A MOTHER.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


So sorry to hear that your son had a bad experience at school. In many states, before you can sue a school district, you are required to exhaust any administrative remedies available to you (i.e. the complaint or grievance process). Try contacting a personal injury lawyer or a school law attorney - after a thorough review of the facts, they will be able to advise you on possible next steps. You can use the Find a Lawyer tab here on Avvo as a starting point.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer