Skip to main content

Can i sue the rockland county DA' office i had a home invassion the person was arrested i was promised by the ramapo det on my

Suffern, NY |

case that i would be notified when it went to court i wanted restitution he stole from me 27,500 every dollar left here other than th was counted and my police report states that amount after not being notified either by the court or DA the criminal got a year in reb and 5 years porbation no restutiuon or notification was made to me not even a phone call i was also injured and lost my job over this i have not left my house in over a year due to this i call the da office every week and told someeone will get back to me i was also told i cant speak to the DA himself only an attorney can bullshit i spoke to Albany and was told as a victim i have every right to speak to the DA himself i need to know what i can do next its been almost 10 months i call every week sent emails no reply

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You cannot sue the DA because the DA has discretion on how to resolve a criminal case. You also do not have the right to speak with the DA. Put in a claim with the Crime Victims Board. You may be able to get some restitution. The DA may have a unit to help you do this or you can contact the Board directly.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Unfortunately you cannot sue the DA's office over this as it has discretion in resolving cases. It is possible that the Defendant did not have any money to pay restitution at the time.


File a complaint on this DA with your
state's attorney-grievance commission.
He is an attorney and has obligations
to act "professionally" whether he has
prosecutorial immunities or not. Let
him explain to the commission what
he did. You can also sue the home
invader but you'll probably have top
wait years before he gets a job and
can pay you.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer