Can I sue the Quality inn for a slip and fall in the shower if the shower was dirty?

Columbus, GA |

I slipped on conditioner or shampoo or something similar as I stepped forward into the shower. The cleaning crew missed the shower and I didn't see that it was dirty before I climbed in! The hotel cleaned it because I fell got out and immediately called them!

Sure. Were you injured?

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Whether you have a good case (or a weak case) depends on detailed facts you did not give us, and the severity of your injuries. Call a local lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Whether or not you can sue for a slip and fall in the shower depends on many factors. You do not indicate the extent of your injuries, but this would play a role in the cost and expense necessary to hire an expert in the safety of the shower and if the failure to clean played a role in your fall. You should consult with a local experienced personal injury attorney ASAP.

I handled a very similar case in the past. As with all slip and fall cases, the property owner--in this case, the motel--will vigorously defend this case. You should consult with an attorney who is experienced in handling slip and fall/premises liability cases to discuss whether the evidence would support a claim in your case.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship with you or an offer to represent you. It is intended solely to convey general information and should not be construed as legal advice.

Generally, premises liability cases like yours turn at least initially on whether the property owner knew or should have known of the dangerous/slippery condition. In this case, I would argue the cleaners should have seen and cleaned the shower, thus alleviating the potentially dangerous situation. You don't say how badly you were hurt, but assuming you required medical treatment and were diagnosed with specific injuries as a result of the fall, your case may very well be worth pursuing. If on the other hand you fell but were only embarrassed and a little sore and therefore required no treatment, it is probably not economically feasible for you to pursue. You should certainly consult with a personal injury attorney with experience in premises liability claims to assist you in making that decision.
For more information on premises liability claims, check out the link below.

A personal injury lawyer can certainly investigate

I get questions like this a lot. The answer is not simple.

If you have or can obtain proof (documentary, admissions, etc.) that the cleaning staff failed to clean the shower, it was impossible for you to see the substance on the floor of the shower, you may be able to recover.

The problem is that the proof in this case is probably speculative and a matter of your word against theirs.

Because the answer to your question is so fact intensive, I would highly recommend that you contact a Georgia Personal Injury Attorney. That attorney will want to know the circumstances surrounding the condition of the bathtub, as well as, your injuries.

If your injuries are not serious, I suspect that you will have a hard time finding a lawyer to take your case because these cases are incredibly difficult to win.