Skip to main content

Can I sue the police or DA or city government ???

Hayward, CA |

I was raided arrested and charged with various felonies in 2003 Police did not have search warrant charges were finally dismissed in 2006 after spending a lot of money and taking a lot of time off work to go to court .... Can I be made whole or has it been to long????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It's been too long. You had some very narrow deadlines, all of which you missed and you are starting 7 years after your dismissal. The courts will tell you to pound sand.


Typically, you need to file any civil rights violation claims with the appropriate government entities within six months of the violation. If you hadn't then you are likely barred from pursuing any action. That's about as much as I know, but I'm not a civil rights attorney so I do not know the exemptions that would allow you to pursue this matter today. So I suggest contacting a civil rights attorney. Many reputable civil rights attorneys offer a free consultation. Moreover, many take the matter on contingency. Contact one today because the clock is ticking if it isn't already dead.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


As Mr. Kaman pointed out, you've waited too long. All the applicable deadlines have passed and no court would allow you to sue this long after the relevant events occurred.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer