Skip to main content

Can I sue the Goodwill for negligence if my grandma tripped on merchandise left on the floor?

Los Angeles, CA |

Grandma fell at the local Goodwill store when she tripped on merchandise left on the floor. She is currently in the hospital and will require surgery scheduled for tomorrow. She has medical but dont know how much of the medical expenses they will cover.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to contact a good personal injury attorney - many, like myself handle trip & fall accidents & offer free initial consultations. She may well have a good case, but need to know much more facts. Hope all goes well with her surgery!!!! If there is a good case all her reasonable medical charges past & future will be recovered, plus additional money for all her pain & suffering.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


Its possible depending on the specific facts of your case. Seek a personal injury attorney in your area ASAP. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


You need to get a copy of the incident report and any other documentation, such as your grandmother’s medical records, and have them reviewed by an attorney who is experienced in such claims and can represent your grandmother’s interests. I have personally dealt with other California claims of a similar nature. I have worked personally on numerous injury cases and it is important for you to know that time is of the essence when bringing an action forward. Having proper representation can protect your cause of action. Best of luck to you.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Whether or not there is a valid claim for negligence regarding a trip and fall over merchandise on the floor requires analysis of many details. The fact of a trip and fall, without more, does not mean the store owes anyone anything. Here's what is meant by "more": [Blue-Link-Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


There are typically grounds for a lawsuit for negligence with respect to improper placing of merchandise, falling merchandise, etc. Retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate a claim.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer