Skip to main content

Can I sue someone for talking a lot of bad things about me?Like telling everybody about my life story and asking my boss fire me

Saint Louis, MO |

This guy and I do not talk to each other since we do not get along. But the other day we got into it. He told me he has a police friend so that he can get me arrested. I told him to show me that but did not happen. Right after the dispute, he told my boss to fire me. This did not happen either. But what bothers me is he tells everybody bad things about me like my former employeers fired me and things like that and he also says I am criminal which I am not. He tells my boss to fire me which my boss ignored. But still it bothers me since my name is being unclean by some liar. He also says to my co-workers behind my back he will keep bothering me so that I will physically attack him, then he will fall on the ground and call police. So that I will get arrested. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

I think the best and least expensive thing you can do is go see a local attorney and ask him or her to write a letter to the guy, warning him that you may sue for defamation and other causes of action. Probably you should talk with your boss as well, explaining that this enmity (which he clearly has witnessed) is disruptive of the work environment and you should request that he tell your co-worker to either quit it or to quit.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.


Good advice from my colleague. Don't give this guy what he wants by giving him a reason to call the police. And do speak to your boss (or HR, if you have an HR department) about this guy's intereference with everyone getting their jobs done.

If you do want to hire a lawyer to threaten him with a defamation lawsuit, these defamatory statements need to be provably false facts, and not negative but true or mostly true facts, and not opinions. You may be better off just ignoring this guy, if you can.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls --- we need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. Please don't expect me to respond to your follow-up queries. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer