Skip to main content

Can i sue my x for defamation?

Waverly, TN |

my x filed a restraining order on my boyfriend so that he cannot be around my kids. He has lived with me for 3 yrs with no abuse of any kind. My kids are 9 and 17. He has had to move out which is totally disrupted the household. Is there anything I can do? We live in a small town and my boyfriend is a self employed small business owner with a highly respected family name.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Typically the restraining order issued is a temporary order. There should be a court date set for a hearing to determine if the order should be made permanent. Go to court and contest the order.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.


Contest it


How has your ex defamed you? What are your provable damages? It sounds like your children's father has attempted to protect them from someone who the court obviously felt was a problem for your kids and therefore issued the restraining order. If your boyfriend wants to get the restraining order lifted, he needs to take court action to do so.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer