Skip to main content

Can I sue my trade school ATI College of Health Miami Gardens, FL

Boca Raton, FL |

I attended ATI college of health in Miami gardens, FL for 2 yrs for ultrasound. during the end of the program we had to attend a financial aid mandatory meeting. From my knowledge, they gave me documents stating what I would owe once I finished. During the end of the last semester, rumors which became facts surface the campus that the school wasn't accredited which they told us it was during orientation. As of end of 2012, the school has closed without any notice. Most of students are without careers, no transcripts as proof of completion and a diploma that's worth nothing. Endless calls and messages to the dept of education and number on school website are unanswered. I couldnt graduated until all documents and debts were complete. the school sold their debts to Omega that say I ow $6000

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In answer to your question - "yes" you can sue almost anyone for anything. Is it going to get you your money back? Probably not. My guess, without knowing anything more than you have stated, is that they have gone through bankruptcy and the sale of their receivables was done on trustee's orders to pay off creditors. So, even if you can find anyone to sue, and even if you end up with a judgment against them, you may have a hard time collecting on the judgment. In the future, when a school representative tells you they are "accredited" find out which accrediting agency and then go on the agency's website to find out if that is true. Do your homework on ANY school that you choose to attend.

Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.


I agree with Ms Johnson and would also note that there could be a criminal offense here for grand theft or possibly worse depending on all the facts. Many times people consider civil lawsuits where there could also be a crime. If there is a crime the police may investigate it, the state attorney's office may prosecute it. And that costs you nothing.

Every case is different do not rely upon this information until you have actually spoken to an attorney of your choice so that all of the facts can be reviewed.


34 CFR Section 682.402(d) of the Federal Family Education Loan Program provides some relief to students who are indebted where the school has closed. The qualifications for this relief are narrow and specific, but you should make an inquiry to see if your circumstances are within the boundaries:

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.