Skip to main content

Can I sue my stepmom for physically, mentally and psychologically abusing me when I was 12 to 14 years old? I am now 26.

San Francisco, CA |

It happened in Massachusetts. I am now in California. Is my statue of limitation over?

If now, how long do I have until it is?

Also, there is already records of her abusing me but she never got convicted because I was too afraid to accuse her at the time I was abused.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In California it would be the case that, unless the abuse included acts of specific sexual conduct, any rights that you may have had to file a suit on these facts lapsed in the 8 years since you attained majority. But since this conduct occurred in Massachusetts, you will need advice from a Mass attorney on the issue of that state's statutory time limits. You will want to re-post your inquiry under the Mass section of Avvo.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer