Skip to main content

Can I sue my school or my teacher?

Denver, CO |

My school got me to attend with false representation. I am about to graduate and just found out my credits are non-transferable because they are not national accredited, which they did represent themselves as in the beginning. I maintain a record of all A's and two B's. My GPA is above 3.7 and has been. The teacher I am currently taking has been denying all my assignments and I now have an F in his class. It is the last class I have to take to graduate, and I requested to take it online because my job schedule. The school denied my request. Now I am suffering the consequences. One of the B's I received was from the same teacher I have now. I have avoided taking his courses because of his past discrimination against me. He is ruining my record for no logical reason.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can sue anyone for any thing at any time. However, that doesn't mean you can win.

You mght be able to make out a colorable claim against the school if you can prove that the school represented itself as nationally accredited when it was not. Do you have anything showing this false representation? Advertisements? Letters? Anything else you could show to the Court to establish that such a representation was made?

As for suing the teacher, you are unlikley to get very far. The school has no obligation to allow you to take a class online. If you are not getting credit for assignments that you ahve turned in, have you contacted the dean or other school officials to determine what the problem is?

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.



Yes I have talked to the dean and it is more then obvious from the grades he is giving compared to the work I'm submitting and his posted requirements that he is not marking these grades based on educational fact, but rather opinion and bias. The school has a lot of issues and I can find documentations in my old files to support the misrepresentation. I also have several people who can account for this as well.


Grades are always a matter of opinion. You think your work is good; the grader doesn't. It's in the nature of the relationship that the grader's opinion is the one that is recorded and reported. Courts will not intervene in these assessments of student work. Use your school's internal administrative appeals processes.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer