Skip to main content

Can I sue my previous employer for defamation of character? (slander/libel)?

Orlando, FL |

Upon being fired from my previous job, the Asst. Manager called me in his office while another employee was present. he was not trained to read background reports, and revealed my arrest record from information he gotten from HR and the President of the firm. he also stated that there was an email forwarded (which he showed me) to the companies they are representing stating they should not in for any reason accept an application or offer employment to me because I was arrested for battery dating violence, and am a violent person. I was fired from a cell phone carrier represented by the marketing firm who had fired me as well. I could not go another firm because the email was sent to local firms as well, stating I have a history of violence and be bad for business, which is false.

I had never given any kind of indication of being violence or having unorderly conduct. I never sweared or became aggressive with anyone at the firm or a customer for that matter. Never the less can i atleast file a law suit, I have worked 12-15 hour days for this company and they are not going to pay me for the training nor the hours of training I have worked. I tried to contact them about my compensation, but they refuse to return my calls or answer any questions. They also make false statements while on the phone saying that i being aggressive and need to calm down but I never have been aggressive with anyone of them. They are slandering my name and ruining my professional reputation;

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Speak to an employment lawyer right away.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


I would speak with a local employment attorney. It is unclear form the facts you presented whether or not you may have a claim.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/employattorney) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.


Have a local employment lawyer investigate

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer